The Geekflat is my connected home. Some of the technology contained within includes:
- SmartThings zigbee/zwave home automation hub. This lets me control/sense light switches, my fireplace, outlets, door open/close (including the garage), motion, etc. Some of the more useful functions I have programmed as SmartApps are:
- Friends need to borrow something when I'm not home? No problem - they can text 'open garage' to a twilio phone number posted outside my garage. If they are a member of the 'GarageAccess' group in my Google Contacts, the garage door will open for them. I am notified as well, of course.
- Notification of all events when I leave home (using my iphone as my presence detector) - including notification of any lights left on.
- PlantLink to remind me (via text/email) when to water my plants
- DoorBot to let me see who is at the door - and talk to them!
- Lockitron to let me lock/unlock my front door remotely
- "Plenty" of wireless access points - also offering a guest SSID for my townhouse community